For a law firm to be profitable, it needs to be able to collect payments for work completed.
Timely billing and accounting
Law firms should ensure invoices are sent to clients on a regular basis, setting expectations and ensuring bills are received near when the work is completed.
Descriptive line items should also be used to convey value and make it clear to the client exactly what work was completed.
If using retainers, consider setting up evergreen retainers, where clients automatically receive replenishment notifications when the balance hits a particular minimum2. With evergreen retainers funds are always readily available to cover billable amounts, without requiring significant maintenance or time from the firm.
Accept credit card payments
Make it easy for clients to make payments and increase cash flow by offering credit card payments.
Automated collections process
While often unavoidable, time spent on the collections process can be minimized with automated reminders to clients for past due invoices. When scheduled to send once an invoice hits a certain number of days past due, consistent reminders ensure all overdue invoices receive the attention necessary to prompt payment.
Sign up now to get more tips and news from CosmoLex
- 5 Ways CosmoLex Can Help Organize Your Practice (33:23)
- What Should Our Law Firm Client Intake Process Look Like?
- How can our law firm automate document creation?
- Revitalizing Your Law Firm: Selecting the Best Practice Management Software (26:57)
- Revitalizing Your Law Office: How to Migrate to Modern Practice Management Software (29:16)