Law firms have to keep track of a lot of information. Yet it should be a minor component of a lawyer’s work. After all, a lawyer’s job is to work with clients on a case—not get stressed out worrying that things aren’t organized or that they’ve missed a deadline.
So, what can lawyers do to keep track of their cases?
The challenges of spreadsheets
In the past, firms relied on paper files and spreadsheets. And when spreadsheets were the best technology available, they made sense to use. But as expectations in today’s tech-centric world have changed, spreadsheets have become cumbersome.
Some drawbacks include:
- Needing to update and re-share a file so that everyone has current information
- No help in staying on top of low retainer balances or upcoming deadlines
- Numerous opportunities for human error as information gets entered or moved around
- Not matter-centric
- Errors and poor organization leave lawyers open to malpractice suits
- Don’t catch conflicts of interest
Today, a client who calls with a question expects the team member they speak with to be able to look up their information immediately—no scrambling. And the pandemic added to the expectation for lawyers to be able to access files from anywhere, too.
The advantages of software
Basically, the expectations of clients and the demands of increasingly location-independent workflows have created a need for firms to use cloud-based software.
A practice management system with matter-centric record-keeping makes staying organized easier for the firm—whether that’s in terms of keeping track of case details or deadlines. Staying on top of the myriad of details can help you avoid malpractice suits—and stay healthier with a little more peace of mind.
Ultimately, modern software is what best sets firms up for meeting today’s professional expectations. It’s cloud-based, matter-centric, lets you track deadlines, and isn’t as prone to human error. And in addition to cases, it can set you up to better manage leads, too.
Sign up now to get more tips and news from CosmoLex
- 5 Ways CosmoLex Can Help Organize Your Practice (33:23)
- What Should Our Law Firm Client Intake Process Look Like?
- How can our law firm automate document creation?
- Revitalizing Your Law Firm: Selecting the Best Practice Management Software (26:57)
- Revitalizing Your Law Office: How to Migrate to Modern Practice Management Software (29:16)