2020 has been a year of crisis management. Between the coronavirus pandemic, wildfires, police brutality riots, and numerous large-scale natural disasters across the United States, law firms have had to contend with a lot of uncertainty. These events have raised the question of how to safely prepare for future disasters.
The first thing that a firm must have in place is a disaster recovery plan. Disaster recovery plans should cover a range of incidents that impact how your firm functions, including, but not limited to, IT infrastructure, the physical offices, or employees’ ability to do their jobs.
Key elements of a good DRP include the following considerations:
- Assessing priorities for immediate action
- Assigning roles responsibilities
- Who is authorized to execute a plan? Have a chain of command in place.
- Data backup and a plan for accessing and restoring backups in the aftermath of a disaster. Your plan should be tested periodically.
- Client lists, calendars, electronic documents
- Inventory of assets
- A list of all physical client and case records
- A list of all office supplies, computers, equipment, and furniture used by the firm
- Make sure to include a list of key vendors to use to obtain office supplies, computers, IT assistance, equipment, furniture
- Communications plan that includes who to contact and what critical information to communicate:
- Emergency contacts, including first responders, banking, and other key business contacts
- FEMA and Red Cross contact information for government loans or other assistance
- Insurance agent contacts to file business interruption claim as soon as possible
- Employee contact information, as well as their emergency contacts
- Communication plan for clients, the court, staff, lawyers, and vendors after a disaster
- Work plan for employees
- Plan for locating new office OR
- Plan for remote work
The ABA, as well as most state and local bar associations, offer disaster recovery resources for attorneys, along with DRP templates.
Sign up now to get more tips and news from CosmoLex
- What Should Our Law Firm Client Intake Process Look Like?
- How can our law firm automate document creation?
- Revitalizing Your Law Firm: Selecting the Best Practice Management Software (26:57)
- Revitalizing Your Law Office: How to Migrate to Modern Practice Management Software (29:16)
- How CosmoLex Can Improve Your Legal Billing (29:09)